Sunday, February 21, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Posted by LeighAnne at 6:39 PM
The soup lacked flavor because I used fat free chicken broth, but once it was covered in sour cream and cheese, it was great! Next time, I'll use "real" broth!


Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

3 cups of chicken broth (Spring for the full fat version!)
3 chicken breasts (I took three out of the freezer and threw them in the crock pot frozen)
1/2 onion
1 small bag frozen sweet corn
3 green onions
28 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup chopped vegetables that you have on hand (I used celery and carrots)
2 Tbsp minced garlic (I use minced garlic from the jar you buy in the grocery store. Don't judge me for it.)
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t cayenne pepper (I omitted)
1 t cumin
salt to taste

Directions:
Place chicken in crockpot. Pour broth over chicken. Add all other ingredients and give a good stir. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 6 or so. Garnish with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and cheese.


HINT: I use the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners and they are amazing! Our sink is really shallow, so trying to wash the crockpot (which I use weekly) can be a beating. The bags make clean up so easy!


0 comments on "Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup"

Post a Comment

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


The soup lacked flavor because I used fat free chicken broth, but once it was covered in sour cream and cheese, it was great! Next time, I'll use "real" broth!


Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

3 cups of chicken broth (Spring for the full fat version!)
3 chicken breasts (I took three out of the freezer and threw them in the crock pot frozen)
1/2 onion
1 small bag frozen sweet corn
3 green onions
28 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup chopped vegetables that you have on hand (I used celery and carrots)
2 Tbsp minced garlic (I use minced garlic from the jar you buy in the grocery store. Don't judge me for it.)
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t cayenne pepper (I omitted)
1 t cumin
salt to taste

Directions:
Place chicken in crockpot. Pour broth over chicken. Add all other ingredients and give a good stir. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 6 or so. Garnish with sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and cheese.


HINT: I use the Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners and they are amazing! Our sink is really shallow, so trying to wash the crockpot (which I use weekly) can be a beating. The bags make clean up so easy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment