Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cupcake crazy...

Posted by LeighAnne at 5:37 PM
For the past several years, I have wanted to attend pastry school at the CIA in Napa and then open my own bakery. The name of my bakery is going to be Cupcake Lane (hence the name of this blog). The reality of that dream is, well, not so real. Instead, I like to pretend that I know how to bake and decorate cakes. I just love it. I especially love cupcakes. I honestly don't know where my obsession (which Lane tells me is unhealthy) came from. But now, my life is surrounded by cupcakes...Big, small, dark, light...I love them all.



I especially have become obsessed with the giant cupcake cake pan by Wilton. They are just fun to look at! They aren't the easiest things to bake...in fact, I cross my fingers for each one and hope and pray that it turns out. Here's a few recipes for them:

For the candy shell, I used this wonderful website to learn how to do it:
http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

Strawberry Cake (Adapted from Paula Deen's recipe)
Ingredients
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
7 cups confectioners' sugar
Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I use Pam for Baking spray and LIBERALLY coat the cake pan. It will stick if you don't.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour mixture into the "top" side of the cake pan first. It needs to be about 3/4 full. Pour the remainder into the "bottom" side of the pan. It will end up being about 2/3 full. Put the pan on a baking sheet and when you put it in the oven, place it so the "bottom" side of the pan is towards the back of your oven and the "top" side is towards the door. It will bake for about 55 -75 minutes. I check mine every 25 minutes. If the top starts to brown, but the cake is not done, cover with foil. Cake is done when a toothpick or skewer can be inserted and come out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. I typically will freeze my cake. Not only does it make it easier to frost, I think it actually makes it more moist.


For the frosting:


In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the vanilla extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.


To color the icing, I use Wilton icing colors. They are less messy and easier to use than trying to mix food coloring. To fit it into the candy shell liner, you might need to trim the "bottom" down a little so the shell doesn't crack. I also always push a skewer through both layers when I put the "top" on the "bottom". Decorate cake any way you wish!

0 comments on "Cupcake crazy..."

Post a Comment

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cupcake crazy...


For the past several years, I have wanted to attend pastry school at the CIA in Napa and then open my own bakery. The name of my bakery is going to be Cupcake Lane (hence the name of this blog). The reality of that dream is, well, not so real. Instead, I like to pretend that I know how to bake and decorate cakes. I just love it. I especially love cupcakes. I honestly don't know where my obsession (which Lane tells me is unhealthy) came from. But now, my life is surrounded by cupcakes...Big, small, dark, light...I love them all.



I especially have become obsessed with the giant cupcake cake pan by Wilton. They are just fun to look at! They aren't the easiest things to bake...in fact, I cross my fingers for each one and hope and pray that it turns out. Here's a few recipes for them:

For the candy shell, I used this wonderful website to learn how to do it:
http://ohsugarcakes.blogspot.com/2009/03/candy-liner-for-giant-cupcake.html

Strawberry Cake (Adapted from Paula Deen's recipe)
Ingredients
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
7 cups confectioners' sugar
Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I use Pam for Baking spray and LIBERALLY coat the cake pan. It will stick if you don't.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour mixture into the "top" side of the cake pan first. It needs to be about 3/4 full. Pour the remainder into the "bottom" side of the pan. It will end up being about 2/3 full. Put the pan on a baking sheet and when you put it in the oven, place it so the "bottom" side of the pan is towards the back of your oven and the "top" side is towards the door. It will bake for about 55 -75 minutes. I check mine every 25 minutes. If the top starts to brown, but the cake is not done, cover with foil. Cake is done when a toothpick or skewer can be inserted and come out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. I typically will freeze my cake. Not only does it make it easier to frost, I think it actually makes it more moist.


For the frosting:


In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the vanilla extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth.


To color the icing, I use Wilton icing colors. They are less messy and easier to use than trying to mix food coloring. To fit it into the candy shell liner, you might need to trim the "bottom" down a little so the shell doesn't crack. I also always push a skewer through both layers when I put the "top" on the "bottom". Decorate cake any way you wish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment